
I'm gonna take another stab at this :-)
It's a blustery, icy day - and with school cancelled I finally have time for some catching up.
First things first.....
It was more than a month ago now that Brandon and I took an adventure I never thought I'd take - deer hunting in Eastern Washington.
I always knew Brandon was a hunter but I just figured I'd keep my distance from it. But that all changed when my sister Rebecca also married a hunter, Daniel. Not only is he a hunter, but his family owns thousands of huntable land in Eastern Washington. So when Daniel and Rebecca invited us to E. Wash. for a hunting excursion - I decided I better find out what this is all about. Becca and I dutifully woke up in the wee hours of the morning and doned our bright hunters orange (see pics) and set out to "glass" the fields with our hubbies. (glass = look through binoculars slowly covering every foot of land). Well, I've learned that every hunting expedition must come with a grand story, but I'll spare you all the details.
No deer that weekend, but lots of great fun quietly trooping around the wilderness. I discovered the beauty of Eastern Wa. for the first time. However, Brandon and I were quite keen to filling our freezer with meat, so we went back for a second weekend and think we got the same deer that had escaped us the previous week. Here's the pics!


And for those of you who are a bit shocked or even offended that I would do such a thing: We had to take a hunter ed. class before we got our licenses and I learned that it is actually hunters that spend more $ than anyone else on wildlife conservation. And that hunting is part of the equation that allows for healthy wildlife habitats. Trust me, the Dept. of Wildlife is very careful to not let hunting harm wildlife populations.
(Ex.: One year in Colorado citizens/ lobbyists stopped a certain deer hunting season. The result? Disease took over the whole population, drastically harming the population. Too many deer in an area causes disease and starvation. )
So there's my plug for hunting, do you buy it??
Remember, you can respond to these posts!
2 comments:
So are you guys back in WA state now??? Looks like a nice buck, Brandon! Enjoy a freezer full of venison!! (I had a baby this hunting season, so Dan was out of luck- he apparently had some ties to some land in eastern WA too)
If you are back in the area let us know! Maybe we could trek up north or something.
Hey Rachel and Brandon!
It's great to hear that you guys are finding some creative ways to keep yourselves busy. I never would have pictured the two of you hunting - and yet I'm sure that you made a great team. I apologize for my lack of contact, but life has been rather interesting lately. To find out more about me, you can check out our family blog at mcmahon-family.blogspot.com.
I hope that we might be able to see one another sometime in the near future (maybe before the girls get out of the hospital - as my life will look dramatically different soon with three children under the age of 2!!!) Rachel, are you interested in nannying again??? (;-)
Anyway, it's great to hear how you're doing. Thanks for the update!
blessing,
Karyn McMahon
Post a Comment